Friday, November 9, 2007

A poem for Mercury

I am a soldier
Off to face the unknown
There are demons in my heart
And unrest in my soul.
So I’m shipping out tomorrow
Because I can’t stand this heartache anymore

I’m fighting for my freedom
And I’m fighting for yours too
I need you to know that I loved you
But I knew it wasn’t enough
I know I was never enough
Like he was to you.

So I’m fighting for your freedom
And I’m fighting for mine too
I want you to be happy
I hope he makes you happy
Like I never could
Maybe it wasn’t meant to be
Maybe you couldn’t tell me
I think of all that could be different
For you and for me
I think of how this life could change
I think of what our life could be

Then yesterday I saw you
And couldn’t tell you what I thought
I wanted to tell you I was leaving
But couldn’t look into your eyes
To see all that was there
Those eyes that are the deepest brown
With just a hint of green.

I’m fighting for my life tomorrow
I’m fighting for yours too.
I’m not sure if I’ll be back again.
But I think you always knew.
That I’m fighting for your freedom
Like I couldn’t fight for you.

No comments: