Thursday, November 8, 2007

Untitled #2

And the color of my skin has everything to do with who I am
I can walk anywhere and not be bothered
I am safe because I am white
When did the world become so color oriented?
When did the world decide which color
Get the better jobs, the better pay and the better hours
Who decided that one color can control others?
That the shade of my skin would make me better than, who?
I am no better than the person sitting next to me on the train
On the bus, who I’m walking next to in the street
We can’t choose our shade
But we can choose our hate, our discriminating nature, our controlling dominant power
The people who we are friends with, the people who we help, who we speak to
Only you can change the difference between black and white
Yellow, orange, blue and gold
Purple, green and gray
You can’t ever look at someone and know who they are
You can’t see in color or in mute tones
You see who you are by looking, really looking
At the person you are speaking to, communicating with and loving
You can choose if you get along with this person or not
You can choose if you worry about how things look to the rest of the world
You choose.
Choose life, choose balance and beauty
Over corruption and pride
Stand next to that person and let them know you are no better than they
We are equals, we are real
We are all the same color on the inside.

No comments: